The first two weeks after I brought Jacob home, I was on this mom high. I was running on pure adoration and adrenaline, and the lack of sleep didn't phase me one bit. I'm pretty sure I didn't sleep longer than 2 hours at time, and I couldn't stop staring at my precious, little angel. Week 3 came, and my husband went back to work. I knew I could do it, but I could feel the honeymoon phase slowly starting to fade. I began to finally feel how tired I really was, and Jacob was becoming colicky. For those of you that are unfamiliar with colic, these are episodes of long stretches of crying that can seem almost untamable. These episodes of crying can last for a week, or weeks at a time. Jacob had colic from week 3-8. Yes, that is 5 weeks of having this little bundle of joy, screaming at the top of his lungs from 6pm - 8pm every night. You would be amazed at how punctual these babies are too. It's like they have little, internal clocks. I had my methods as to how I would calm him down and stop him from crying. I would bring him into my bedroom, and dim the lights, play classical music, or his sound machine, and rock him back and forth. He enjoyed it when I stood, and held him, and pat his butt. Anytime I would sit down he'd usually cry. I would also walk laps around our kitchen and living room for 45 minutes to an hour. He loved the motion and watching the movement. And lastly, if the weather allowed for it, I would take him outside, and rock him back and forth. He loved being outside, and would be almost instantly soothed. These colicky hours, or also known as "the witching hour," were expected everyday. It was almost like a grand finale for the day. But magically, on the 8th week, the colic just disappeared, and Jacob started sleeping for 4-5 hours at night! Hallelujah! Those 5 weeks were challenging, and when you're going through this stage for the first time with your first child, you can feel helpless and distressed that your baby is crying and you can't stop it. But I hope all you Moms out there remind yourself that this stage will pass, and things will get better!
Here are some items I recommend to make this phase just a little bit easier:
- Gripe Water- This product was helpful during Jacob's bout with colic. Gripe water is made with fennel and ginger and is a safe and effective remedy to relieve gas or discomfort for babies dealing with colic. Check out product here https://www.target.com/p/mommy-s-bliss-gripe-water-for-babies-with-gas-colic-or-stomach-discomfort-4oz/-/A-16200475
- My Breast Friend- This nursing pillow was a MUST HAVE! It's designed perfectly to nurse your baby on both sides in a comfortable way for both you and the baby. What I love about it is the back support for mommy too! It also come with a little side pocket where it can hold a water bottle or snacks. Check it out here https://www.target.com/p/my-brest-friend-deluxe-nursing-pillow-evening-gray/-/A-21540472
- Aquascale Bath Tub- This tub really eased my mind as a first time mom. I was super cautious and nervous to even give Jacob baths, because he was so tiny! What's great out this tub is the newborn feature that holds the baby upright and has a nonslip lining to prevent any sliding. I felt a lot more comfortable after the first week of using this tub. It also comes with a scale in which you can check your baby's weight without having to wait for the next doctor appointment. It also shows the temperature of the water so you can monitor if it's too hot or too cold. Check it out here https://www.target.com/p/aquascale-3-in-1-digital-scale-water-thermometer-and-infant-tub/-/A-50794403
- Cradle Cap Skin Soother- These skin soothers worked wonders for Jacob's cradle cap. Everyone knows cradle cap is inevitable in the newborn stage, it was nice to have these soothers to eliminate the dry skin. I used it when I would shampoo his hair and would use the soother to comb his hair and lather the shampoo. The cradle cap started to go away in about a week! Check it out here https://www.target.com/p/fridababy-dermafrida-the-skinsoother-2pk/-/A-52765618
- Nursery Projector and Sound System- This sound machine worked so well to soothe Jacob and to lull him to sleep. This product can be used through all the stages of development. I still use it and Jacob is a year and half. He loves the projector feature too! Check it out here https://www.target.com/p/munchkin-nursery-projector-and-sound-system-baby-soother/-/A-15697981
All these products can be found at Target. Feel free to use the links below to purchase these items. The first link is a promo going on from 4/8/18-4/14/18. Spend $250, save $50 or spend $300, save $100 on baby gear! The second link is to get free shipping on orders over $25. You must checkout through these links in order to get the promo!